The Parish of Alconbury cum Weston
The Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul
The church serves as parish church for both Alconbury and next door parish, Alconbury Weston, which has never had a parish church. It dates from the 12th century, though most of the current building is 13th century rebuilding. At the Dissolution Henry VIII granted the living to Westminster Cathedral, and the advowson has stayed with Westminster ever since.
Outside, on the south chancel wall, lining the eaves, are wonderful grotesque carvings, some depicting demons and you can still make out the 14th century gable left exposed when the roof line was lowered in the 15th century.
The south porch is mainly 13th century, as is the west tower and broach spire. The tower had
to be restored in 1877, which involved supporting the spire while the tower was totally rebuilt under it; a remarkable feat of engineering financed by the squire, George Rust of Alconbury House.
In the interior, while the chancel itself is 13th century, the chancel roof is 15th century, and is decorated with carved bosses and angels with wings outstretched.
The nave is 14th century, but its roof is 16th century, and less elaborate than the chancel, but still a nice example of Tudor work. The pulpit is modern but it rests on 15th century stone buttresses. The font, while dating from the 15th century, has been heavily restored.
St Peter & St Paul's Church