The Parish of Buckworth
The Parish Church of All Saints
The church of All Saints, a Grade II* listed building, stands in the middle of Buckworth, commanding a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside to the north west and was first mentioned in the Domesday survey in 1086.
The earliest parts of the present church are the 12th century eastern angles of what was probably an aisle-less nave.
The south arcades and south aisle were built towards the end of the 13th century; the tower and spire around 1300, and the chancel, north arcade and north aisle about 1310. The south aisle and north wall of the north aisle were rebuilt around 1400 and the clerestory and porch
were added about the same time. The church was restored in 1862, when it was reroofed and the spire in 1884. The tower was repaired in 1908 and the spire was repaired again in 1925 after being struck by lightning. The most striking feature of the tower is a pair of circular windows with beautiful geometric tracery.
Very little was done to the Church until the 1980’s when a programme of repairs to the roof was started following a storm, which, unfortunately, also destroyed the inside of the organ.
The Church now has a limited electricity supply, although oil lamps are still used in the majority of the building.
All Saints Church