The Parish of Great Stukeley
The Parish Church of St Bartholomew
St Bartholomew’s stands in a large churchyard and consists of a chancel, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, and a western tower with pyramidal roof.
The church was mentioned in the Doomsday survey of 1086, but nothing now exists of the original building. The earliest part of the church, consisting of the pillars and arches, was built about 1250.
The nave and aisles are 13th century and the chancel and western tower 15th century.
Early in the 14th century the present north aisle was built. In the 15th century the chancel
arch was rebuilt c. 1430, as was the middle part of the south aisle wall. In 1470 the porch was built on the south side.
The last great repair was undertaken in 1906 when the oak beams in the chancel were restored and the floor lowered to its original level.
The church consists of a Lady Chapel on the north side, the main chancel and a memorial chapel on the south side, dedicated to those afflicted by war. The wooden pulpit was made in about 1906 and is decorated with a vine, a fish and symbols of the four evangelists.
Just behind the front gate of the churchyard stands the war memorial for Great Stukeley, listed in 2016.
St Bartholomew's Church