The Parish of Little Stukeley
The Parish Church of St Martin
There was certainly a church here at the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086, but no part of the original structure remains.
The present church was started by Henry of Huntingdon, Archdeacon of Huntingdon, in the 12th century as a very simply chancel and nave, parts of which still remain today. As in many medieval Anglican churches, there then followed many years of re-building and restoration. The west tower and south aisle were built during the 13th century, largely from re-used 12th century stone and the north arcade and aisle added later. In the early 14th century the chancel was re-built and a north chapel was added.
The beginning of the 16th century saw a lot of refurbishment especially with work buttressing the tower, which today contains a ring of four bells.
Then in mid 17th century, the porch (which contains a carved head peering down into the water stoup) was re-built followed by the belfry a few years later and the north aisle in the 1670s. There then followed the inevitable Victorian restoration in the late 1880's which resulted in the church much as you see today.