The Parish of Winwick
The Parish Church of All Saints
Winwick lies on the western border of Cambridgeshire, adjoining Northamptonshire and at the eastern end of the village is the church of All Saints.
Although not mentioned in the Domesday Book, parts of the church date from around the 12th century. The chancel, nave and south aisle were re-built in the middle of the 13th century, at about the time the church acquired its present font. The north arcade and aisle were then added about 1325.
The south transept was built in the early part of the 15th century and the west tower followed towards the end of that century.
The clerestory was added to the nave in the early 1700’s when the whole of the roof was renewed and the north aisle largely rebuilt. The church was drastically restored in the mid 1800’s when the south transept, south aisle, clerestory, porch and upper part of the spire were rebuilt.
A stone plaque and the clock on the tower are dedicated to those who fought and died in the 1914-18 war.
Finally, in a rather macabre addition in our history, in 1546 the registers mention an ‘outbreak of plague’ at Winwick, when 40 people, including the vicar, were buried between March and August.