The Parish of Great with Little and Steeple Gidding
The Parish Church of St Michael
The church of St Michael, a Grade II* listed building, was probably built after the Domesday survey, but before the 13th century, from which the present south doorway dates; the south porch is later, dating from the 15th century.
The west tower was added early in the 14th century with the belfry being added c. 1370. The nave and chancel arch date from c. 1400 with the north and south aisles c. 1460.
In Victorian times, the church of St Michael had fallen into disrepair, one such description of the time described it as "Very indifferent, roof especially", whilst in 1857, its state had declined to "Much dilapidated".
The church was eventually restored in 1870, with, in 1925, further work being carried out to the tower and chancel arch.
In 1709, there were six bells in St Michael’s, but only five by Victorian times as there are today.
The interior walls are lime washed; the church also contains a war memorial in the form of a stone plaque dedicated to the fallen of both World Wars.