The Parish of Upton and Copmanford
The Parish Church of St Margaret
The church in Upton is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts now existing are no earlier than 12th century.
A grade II* building, the chancel, nave arcades and south aisle are of 13th century origins, but the whole church underwent a complete reconstruction in the early years of the 14th century. This included a partial rebuilding of the chancel, the aisles (which were also heightened), the building of the clerestory and the rebuilding of the west wall.
The west wall, with its two single light windows and three buttresses, suggest that there may originally have been a bell-cote there. If so, this would probably have disappeared 1n the 15th
century, when the west tower was built within the nave. About the same time, the chancel arch was rebuilt.
In 1870-1, the church again underwent further reconstruction. The north aisle was rebuilt and widened, a vestry was built on the north side of the chancel, both aisles were restored to their original length, the whole of the roofs were renewed, and a south porch was added.
There are some nice stained glass windows, showing Christ carrying the cross, Christ crucified and Christ in benediction.
St Margaret's Church