The Parish of Great with Little and Steeple Gidding
St Andrew's Church
St Andrew's Church, part of the Giddings parish, is one of the two, regrettably, redundant churches in the benefice (the other being, the coincidentally named St Andrew’s in Woodwalton) and is situated in the hamlet of Steeple Gidding, It is a Grade II* listed building, under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
It is generally open to visitors and presents a cool, beautifully lit interior, made austere by the lack of any furnishing.
It consists of a nave with a south aisle, a clerestory, a south porch and chancel, with a west tower partly enclosed within the nave.
The oldest part of the church is the south doorway which dates from the c 12th century. The south aisle (and its arcade) were built in the 14th century, and c. 1330 the chancel was built and the nave rebuilt. The west tower was added in the late 14th century and in 1874 a new south porch was built and nave and aisle were restored, with restoration of the tower taking place in 1899.
In the chancel, survivors of the ravages of the Reformation, the Commonwealth and the Victorians, is a 14th-century piscina, and a three-seated sedilia, with another 14th-century piscina in the south aisle.